Wednesday, January 7, 2009

India


I have been back from my second trip to India for over a month now, yet I still don’t feel home. A part of me has changed and I don’t feel I can ever be the same. It has been hard to try and put into words what my eyes have seen and what my heart has felt. It was moments of great joy along with moment of deep sadness, times of great hope and times of desperation. India is truly a land of contrast, from the super rich, to the desperately poor, from the deep darkness of evil, to the overpowering light of the power of God. It is a land of human excesses and extreme human suffering; yet from the rich to the poor, the healthy to the sick, the need is the same... they need the power of the love of our Great God to overcome the darkness.

I still wake up at night haunted by the faces of the hurting, hungry, crippled and rejected people of India. The beautiful people created in God’s Image living in the lie that they have no worth, living without hope when hope is just a breath away. God responds to the hurting, God’s heart is to bring relief to the suffering, to comfort those afraid and to mend the crippled. He came into this world of darkness and hopelessness and brought the remedy of Christ. He has pierced through our own darkness and brought to us the cure. We have been given healing, we have been given hope, we have been given a love that the earth can not contain and we have been called to bring it to those who have not heard. We are called to be moved by the suffering of others as Christ was moved by our suffering, we are called to love as we have been loved, care as He cares. We are called to bring His healing touch, His tender words, His comforting embrace and His open arms. We are called to align our hearts with His and be moved to action. We are called to bring the remedy of Christ to a world so desperate for a cure.

Yes, I truly don’t feel back at home yet and I am so thankful! I don’t want to be comfortable. I don’t want to get lost in the daily routine and emptiness of this place I call home. My home is with my Father and He still has work for me to do here. However, when God calls me home I pray that I will see the faces of those who haunt my sleep, see them no longer suffering because God as taken them in His arms and wiped every tear from their eyes, here they will walk in the bliss of heaven for eternity long because we brought to them the remedy.